Homeschooling. The Journey I Thought I'd Never Take...But Apparently Everyone Else Knew I Would
Morning...well now afternoon. Because let's face it...no homeschooling mom can sit down at her computer for the appropriate amount of time to write a blog, much less a text message on her phone. Oh, you texted me earlier? Don't worry! My response is on my to-do list right after feeding the kids a snack for the umpteenth time today. Currently my husband has graciously taken over making dinner so I can sit here in semi-peace (the toddler is humming in an unreasonably loud manner as he works his puzzle) in an attempt to write something that may provide some sense of comfort or encouragement to the other mom's out there who have taken the leap into homeschooling or are considering it.
First off, I should tell you the truth. Homeschooling was not really on my radar when we first started having kids. My husband attended public school and enjoyed it. I attended private school in early elementary and then my parents chose to homeschool my brother and me....which they did very well and I will forever be grateful for their sacrifices. My son was about two years old when my husband so nonchalantly asked, "You are going to homeschool him, right?" I may have choked a little on whatever I was eating and chuckled and then realized he was kind of being serious. The reality of what we were discussing was big. Really big. Homeschooling was semi-against the social norms when I was young. "Do you do school in your pajamas every day?" -Literally the most asked question of my childhood.- I was working in a public school after-school care program and had a degree in kinesiology/education which I had been using for my job and intended on using in the future in a regular school system. So my first heavy thought after my husband asked that question was..."But what about me and the plans that I have worked so hard on?" Ouch. Looking back at that thought hurts a little. Because my next thought was Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." And thus began our homeschooling journey.
SO. Thing #3,652 I've learned so far on my journey...Homeschooling should be about education...not indoctrination. Whoa. Deep. Maybe too much too soon? Well, that is just a personal belief of mine. You are totally welcome to accept it or not. I won't judge you either way. -Just another glorious reason I'm grateful to live in the United States of America.- Indoctrination basically means that you are teaching someone to accept a set of beliefs/rules/facts/opinions without questioning them. That is very different from giving someone an education. Come on...one of the first things you learn in science class is the scientific method which involves asking questions...forming your hypothesis...and testing your hypothesis. Let me tell you...I am rocking this education thing. My kids ask me a billion questions a day. Oh wait, that's parenthood. Oh well, parenthood and education collide quite nicely if you ask me. Just today we talked about why we stop in respect when a funeral procession drives by and meanwhile my 3 year old sweetly practiced his numbers by counting all of the cars in the procession. Everything is a lesson, my friends. Those who choose to homeschool just throw in a little curriculum to their life. I'm kidding...they usually throw in a lot of curriculum...and recycle it...and change it...and worry over it...and wonder about it...see it really feels like I'm talking about parenthood again. My point is, if you are a parent who is considering homeschooling or if you have already dived in, just remember why we homeschool- To give our kids a good education in a manner we feel is best for our children. So, pat yourself on the back, take deep breaths, and know that you're not alone in your decision. I'm rooting for you.
~Angelyn



Comments
Post a Comment